I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Fear or Freedom?

On this very chilly morning, I drew the Nine of Swords from the Jolanda Tarot:
Nine menacing-looking birds sit atop swords that pierce a heart.  The threatening look of these feathered fiends remind me of the mockingbirds in my neighborhood during their mating and nesting times.  They fly at my dog, cat, and us if we invade their territory - quite an unpleasant experience.  Sometimes my thoughts can be as frightening as those attacking birds.  They bring up ungrounded feelings of fear, and can overwhelm me like an emotional tsunami.  A clue to the solution is in the heart above which has half a yin/yang sign in it.  To be in balance, I need both parts - logic and emotion, assertiveness and receptiveness.  An emotional tidal wave can drown all rationality; it is time to take a hard look at reality through the eyes of objectivity and reason.

     From the Bird Signs deck today comes the "Eagle - freedom:"
I am lucky to live in a city split by a river, where bald eagles have been known to fish.  It is quite amazing to see these giant birds, looking like a speck in the sky, come barreling down to the water and snatch up a fish.  The heights they reach enable them to look down at a body of water and discern whether an object is a fish or just a piece of drifting wood.  Its message for me today is to remove myself from the drama and chaos in my life so that I can see with clarity.  Then I will know what is truly important and what is just driftwood.

No comments:

Post a Comment