I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Moving On, With a Little Help from Friends

Today on Christmas Day I have drawn the Eight of Cups from the Picture Postcard Tarot:
A soldier about to leave for war bids farewell to his lady love.  The war has reached a tipping point, and now he feels a duty and obligation to fight.  He does not know what lies ahead - challenges or adventures - but he knows it is time to go.  With all her weeping and caterwauling, the soldier might even be relieved to get away.  I am reminded by this card when my life becomes stagnant and unfulfilling, it is time to move on.  I can't change people or places, but I can change me.

     From the Steps to Serenity deck this morning was drawn the card "Isolation:"

"I had found friends, understanding friends who often knew what I was thinking and feeling better than I knew myself, and didn't allow me to retreat into my prison of loneliness and fear..." ~ AA Big Book
Who hasn't wanted to close themselves off from the world when they felt so overwhelmed by anger, pain, or worry?  But hiding away from others means I am alone with my own skewed perceptions; as the saying goes, "when I'm in my head I'm behind enemy lines."  Friends on my spiritual journey can help share my burdens so that I don't become overwhelmed by the challenges in my life.  I can think of several friends who have "put a little love in my heart" over the past year, and this song is dedicated to you for making my world a better place:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOo7bRuqUHE&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment