I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, January 30, 2012

Communicating Perspectives

This morning I pulled another cups card from the Tarot of Durer, the Two of Cups:
A couple hold hands while sitting at a table, their body posture reflecting their feelings for each other.  Behind them is a farm house and a field of grain, implying a relationship that is both stable and productive.  My concern is the one cup balanced on the edge, ready to take a spill if the table is even lightly bumped.  This image prompts me to be aware of how fragile friendships and partnerships can be in the realm of humans.  It is a bond that requires continuous effort on the part of both parties.  While commonality is a thread that seems to weave itself through my connections with others, the most important facet for me is honest and respectful communication.  The ability to hear with an open heart and mind as well as speak the truth is what can help that cup stay firmly on the table.

     From the Philosopher's Stone deck today comes the card "Solution:"
I don't know of any adult who hasn't at some point felt up against a brick wall like this one.  And the question mark made of stone seems to taunt, "What am I going to do now?  How will I ever resolve this?"  And generally, if there are other people involved, comes the question, "Why can't they see it my way?"  But if I look at the question mark from the side, rather than from the front, it appears to be an exclamation mark instead.  The uncertainty suddenly turns into an "aha" moment.  In the same way, I need to learn to see from a new perspective (possibly from someone else) in order to get a new angle on the problem.  Otherwise, I may end up staring at that brick wall for a long time... 

No comments:

Post a Comment