I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, February 24, 2012

Pause and Relish

It took me a moment to realize today's draw from Waking the Wild Spirit is also a major arcana card; Palin labels it Inner Child / Spirit of Purity (known traditionally as Temperance):

The fearful things you pull along behind you are just burdens, not necessities.
Palin chooses to see Temperance as a blend between our adult world and a child's world.  Here's a few examples of the difference between the two:

Child: OOOooo!  Look at all the mud puddles to splash in!
Adult: Well I guess I wasted my money on that car wash the other day...
Child: Someone's coming to give us COOKIES!
Adult: Dang Girl Scouts are going to take my last bit of cash...


I can't put my finger on the precise moment, but somewhere along the way of becoming an adult, I began losing my ability to see the fun, magic and wonder in each moment.  Just this morning I was up before daylight, taking out the trash and feeding the animals.  I noticed the intoxicating smell of tea olives in bloom, but instead of pausing and relishing the moment, I hurried inside as I ticked off the items on my "to do" list.  Palin isn't encouraging me to be naive or irresponsible, but to remember the freedom and joy of living in the "now."  As she states, "Seize the moment with a light touch and a lighter heart."  Maybe I'll go back outside for another sniff...

     The card pulled from the Celtic Shaman's Pack today is one of the Elements group, "Water: The Well of Segais:"
In Celtic mythology, the Well of Segais was shaded by nine magical hazel trees.  The nuts of the trees fell into the water, making all who drank from it receive wisdom and inspiration.  Five streams flowed from this source, and are said to represent the five senses through which knowledge is attained.  Our senses often get a bad rap, lumped into a category of sinful pleasures.  But as long as I use my senses as a tool, instead of letting them become my master, I can find inspiration and knowledge through them.  And I know of no better way to keep myself grounded in the present than by attending to the sensual information around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment