I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, March 10, 2012

HALT and Halos

The tarot deck I'll be using this week is the Albano-Waite, a re-colored version of the RWS by Frankie Albano.  This morning's draw is the Knight of Pentacles:
Here is a knight who most epitomizes those we read about in legends - chivalrous, looking to help the downtrodden and right all wrongs.  He's carried his cup of water across the desert (a symbol of love and compassion), offering it to all those in need.  But he must keep his cup filled for himself as well; he's come to a river to refresh himself and get a refill.  In 12 Step programs, there is an acronym called "HALT" that is used.  It is a reminder not to get too hungry, angry, lonely or tired - in other words, take care of yourself.  I hope this knight has the letters tattooed across his fingers, because he'll need the visual cue in his line of work.

     The oracle I'll be using this week is the Rumi Cards created by Eryk Hanut and Michele Wetherbee, and feature quotes from this Sufi poet.  The cards are divided into six groups around themes: birth, love, ordeal, transformation, warnings, and rewards.  Here's today's draw:
The more you strive to reach the place of Splendor,
The more the Invisible Angels will help you.
If I want to grow spiritually, I can't sit home and polish my halo.  I must go out into the world and practice patience, tolerance and compassion.  The more I strive to be a person filled with loving-kindness, the more I'll be receptive to those who are willing to encourage and support me.  As Truman said, "the buck stops here."

No comments:

Post a Comment