I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, April 16, 2012

Watching, Listening and Learning as I Go

From the Nigel Jackson Tarot, the Knight of Staves (Wands):
Similar to yesterday's knight who followed his heart, the Knight of Staves follows his passions and ambitions.  After comparing these fellows, I realized these guys don't have bridles on their horses.  Bridles can come in handy when you're on a horse, not just to guide him in the direction you're going, but also to stop him from going off a cliff.  This fellow is obviously following where his desires lead him, but he has no pack with food, water, or a map.  He's looking straight ahead and seems completely oblivious to the stones in his path that could result in a lame horse.  If I want to follow my dreams, that's an honorable thing, but I still need to pay attention to what is going on around me and ask for directions if I'm confused.  It won't help to focus so intensely on my goal that basic needs and common sense go out the window.  That is just escapism at its finest.

     From the Sabian Symbols, "Sagittarius, 4th Degree:"

A little child learning to walk with the encouragement of parents.
Everything I've learned came from someone else - whether through a book, a teacher, a parent, or just watching other people.  Granted, I had to do the work, but the information was there to help me along.  This symbol reminds me that there are others who've experienced things in life that I'm dealing with now.  If I want to know how to navigate these waters successfully, it will be beneficial if I can find someone who has already done it.  Plus, it never hurts to have an cheerleader in my corner, who will encourage me to keep putting one foot in front of the other and help dust me off when I fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment