I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, May 18, 2012

Loosen Up

  From the Rohrig Tarot, Temperance:
I walk every morning, just as the sun comes up.  My body aches at first, and is stubborn about not wanting to keep the pace I set.  But as my body gradually warms up, muscles and joints loosen and move freely.  My mind can be just as rigid - believing situations should be a certain way and people must behave in a particular fashion.  Such thinking makes me feel like my body does before it loosens up - heavy, sluggish and painful.  The woman in the Temperance card has dropped all the "shoulds" and "musts" and has become light as a feather.  She blends both sides so that there is no longer any duality (right or wrong, good or bad) but only a continuum.  As a result, she is like the liquid that flows effortlessly from one bowl to the other.  Time to loosen up my thoughts and ideas today...

     From the Master Tarot comes the "Devotee:"
This woman clasps her hands in prayer, and I wonder if she is fervently wishing for something to be different or just being grateful for what she has.  Prayer is a concept I struggle with, as I do not believe in an intercessory creator.  But a woman in the book club I attend created an interesting twist in my views about it.  She said her priest (Episcopal) believes prayer is not to get God to take action, but to remind the people praying that there are folks who need us to do something for them - a card, a casserole, a care package, or maybe just some compassion.  This card prompts me not to automatically discard ideas because I can logically slash them to bits, as there might just be something hidden there that will be useful to me on my spiritual journey.   

No comments:

Post a Comment