I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, May 11, 2012

Shining the Light of Truth

From the Mythic Tarot, the Five of Cups:
Illustrated in this image is the myth of Eros and Psyche.  Psyche was only able to be with Eros at night, because he didn't want to reveal his true identity as a god (he wanted to be loved for love's sake).  Psyche, unfortunately, listened to her sisters who convinced her that he was a monster who would soon kill her, even though everything she had experienced with him told her otherwise.  But she gave in, and one night lit a lamp to see Eros identity, who responded to her betrayal by running away.  Why do we let other people's opinions and assumptions taint what we know to be true?  Why couldn't Psyche just communicate with her husband her fears, instead of following her sisters' advice?  Once betrayed, I am not one who will trust easily again - forgive yes, but trust no.  Psyche too had to earn the faith of her husband again over a period of time (that involved many tasks).  The message for me in this card is that I can often avoid hurting those I love by refusing to act on assumptions I don't know to be true.  Honest communication can clear up misunderstandings before they set the ball rolling, creating events that have a domino effect.

     From the Symbolon Deck comes "Vanity Fair:"
The beautiful people in their beautiful clothes are out parading around the town square with other beautiful people.  They are there for only one purpose - to be seen and noticed.  The person that accompanies them is important in what they can do for their image.  These partnerships and friendships are based on nothing more than ego-inflation.  I am reminded by this card to be honest with myself about why I form relationships with others.  Do they make me feel important and needed?  Am I primarily concerned with what I can get out of it, or instead, is there a feeling of mutual respect between us? 

No comments:

Post a Comment