I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Way It Is

From the Rohrig Tarot, the Tower:
A tower is ripped apart, revealing a checkered black and white floor inside.  The tower represents the walls of protection that my ego puts up.  The ego tries to convince me that if it has certain things - education, cars, homes, money in the bank, religion, people who need me, friends and family, etc. - I'll never have to experience anything bad.  But those walls have a way of setting my mind in concrete, making me put my fingers in my ears and closing my eyes to anything that doesn't fit my cosmology.  Then life happens, and I have no buffer against reality any longer.  All the self-centered strategies I planned and moves I made (checkered floor) fall through.  I must have something other than the physical to hold on to if I am to ride out these rough waves and maintain my sanity.  Such thoughts remind me of a poem by William Stafford called "The Way It Is:"
There’s a thread you follow. It goes among
things that change.  But it doesn’t change.
People wonder about what you are pursuing.
You have to explain about the thread.
But it is hard for others to see.
While you hold it you can’t get lost.
Tragedies happen; people get hurt
or die; and you suffer and get old.
Nothing you do can stop time’s unfolding.
You don’t ever let go of the thread.

     From the Master Tarot comes the card entitled "Love your enemies:"
enemy: a person who feels hatred for, fosters harmful designs against, or engages in antagonistic activities against another; an adversary or opponent.
In the bottom of this card, red-eyed horses and people with swords are in a battle so confusing, it seems as if everyone is battling each other.  Do I have people I consider enemies?  At the moment, I can't think of anyone I would like to harm or see dead.  But do I have people who irritate me or who ruffle my feathers?  Absolutely.  All I have to do if I want to experience this is to have a cruise on Facebook and read the political and religious posts of others who push their opinions and agendas.  In this case, "love your enemies" doesn't mean I need to invite them home for supper, but I do need to extend tolerance and allow them be who they are while recognizing the common bond we share - that of being human with all its imperfections.

No comments:

Post a Comment