I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Unbending or Flexible?

From the Restored Order Tarot, the High Priest (Hierophant):
Two disciples come before a high priest for his blessing.  The staff he holds is a sign that he considers himself to be a shepherd of his flock, one who leads, guides and protects.  The two dark pillars on either side of the priest are a contrast to the two the high priestess sits between - one black and one white.  Instead of balance, this is a tradition that involves rules and structure that its followers must abide by.  While I am not one to follow any organized group or religion, I have learned over time that they do contain some bits of wisdom I shouldn't toss out because I judge them to be close-minded and rigid; if I do, then I am just as unbending as I conclude them to be.

     From the Oracle of the Kabbalah comes the letter "Aleph/Alef:"
The form of Alef, a yud above and a yud below with a vav separating and uniting them simultaneously, illustrates the image in which man was created - both a physical and spiritual being.  This letter is associated with the number 1, and refers to the Jewish recitation of "the Lord is one."  For many years I thought this was intended only to reiterate that "there is only one God, and we've got the right one."  But in a Kabbalah class at the local temple here, I learned the Jewish mystics consider this to mean the divine is in all - there is nothing separate, all is one.  This letter reminds me to look for connection rather than separation, and concentrate on the similarities I have with others rather than my differences.  Harmony can be found if I choose to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment