I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, June 29, 2012

Testing "Truth"

From the Spiral Tarot, the Page of Pentacles:
In this lovely card, a young girl surrounded by flowers stares intently at a pentacle she holds.  This Page is often associated with study - a pursuit that has the same effect on me as Brer Rabbit being told he's being thrown into the briar patch.  But this girl is primarily interested in examining things that have practical uses.  She might learn how to meditate, but she will immediately test it out to see if it has any benefits in her day-to-day life.  She doesn't just learn, she will do an investigation as well.  On her blog 78 Notes to Self, Ginny associates this court card with a quote from Will Rogers that sums the Page of Pentacles up nicely:
There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin'. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

     From the Sacred Journey Cards comes "Integrity:"
Integrity often gets lumped in with honesty, and though they are cousins, they are not the same thing.  Honesty deals more with people and situations outside of myself.  For instance, if my doctor asks me if I've been eating healthy, my answer may be honest or dishonest.  But if a friend comes to me and asks me if I would mind helping her with a garage sale (and I am obligated to be somewhere else that day), yet I tell her "no problem," that deals with integrity.  It deals with inner honesty, and has to do with being authentic to myself and my principles.  People-pleasing is its biggest enemy, convincing me to shelve my truth for another person's opinion or idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment