I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Creative Endeavors

   This week I'll be using the Wildwood Tarot, with artwork by Will Worthington and text by John Matthews and Mark Ryan.  Today's draw is the Eight of Stones (Pentacles):
WT8P
A man chips away at a stone, working patiently with focused attention to carve it into a useful object.  His "maker's mark" is the his hand-print on the cave wall.  He might not be a master craftsman yet, but the time and effort he spends on each creation is a labor of love for him.  Even though each object he has crafted might not be perfect, he takes pride in each one, just as if they were his children.  This card reminds me not to be embarrassed at my creative attempts.  My drawings, writings, and other projects are far from those of an experienced expert, but they are part of what fulfill me and give my life meaning.

     The other deck I'll be using this week is the Shaman's Oracle by Wil Kinghan and John Matthews.  Today's card is the "Ancestor of Knowing:"
SOAncKn
The owl in this cave art represents knowledge, but not just the kind that comes from a book or a teacher.  This knowing goes beyond what is on the surface, and helps me see with a wide perspective, understanding and appreciation.  My creative endeavors help me dive deep in this way, producing not only something physical, but also self-knowledge and a connection to the earth and its inhabitants.  Like the owl who flies with night vision, it helps me see what is not obvious to the eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment