I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Starting at Zero

From the Thoth Tarot, the Hanged Man:
Unlike the RWS Hanged Man, this fellow has his hands and one foot nailed into place - not much wiggle room there.  His enforced immobility reminds me of holidays at the lake or ocean when I was much younger.  Back then, parents believed you shouldn't swim right after eating, so we were required to sit still while our pimento cheese or bologna sandwiches digested (as we sadly watched the water lap the shore in the 100 degree heat) .  This fellow has something to digest too, except it is in his head rather than his stomach.  The upside down number 4 that he makes with his crossed leg indicates the material world has been put on hold; there is a sacrifice of "getting things done" in order to allow new ideas the space and stillness needed to seep into his brain.  Only then will he get to splash around in the water.

From the Vertical Oracle comes "Zero point:"
The zero point is the place where there is nothing - no dogma, opinions, labels or judgments.  It brings to mind the wooden, uncarved block of the Taoist or the empty cup of the Zen master.  There is only potential and possibilities from this place, with no past to regret or future to fear.  With the Hanged Man above, it encourages me to be still, let go of my baggage, and see from a completely new perspective.


2 comments:

  1. Goodie, interesting decks this week! Never could get interested in working with the Thoth so those decks and books when in the big sale last spring. Haven't regretted it for a minute, but the deck really is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid I cheat when it comes to reading with the Thoth. :) I might use some of Crowley's ideas, but a lot of it is just what I see in the image itself (without adding in all his esoteric stuff). I don't think I would ever read with this deck otherwise!

    ReplyDelete