I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Pockets of Opportunity

This week I'll be using the Fairytale Tarot, created by Karen Mahony and Alex Ukolov.  Today's card is the Ace of Coins and uses the tale "The Superior Pet:"
In this story, a wealthy family loses their lands and money, holding on to only one possession - a silver spoon.  Their daughter, with no dowry, becomes a seamstress who lives in a "poor house" for unmarried women.  One day she rescues a white mouse that had been caught and injured.  She nurses it back to health, but when it is discovered by the other women, they tell her she must get rid of it.  Instead she strikes out on her own, away from the village.  Hungry and tired, she considers selling the one possession her parents left her - the spoon.  But before she can act, the mouse grabs the spoon and scurries into the bricks of a tumbled down building.  She begins tearing the bricks away, only to uncover a treasure chest with her silver spoon sitting on top.  When the story of her good fortune spread throughout China, white mice became symbols of luck.  This card reminds me that I make my own luck, through working hard, persevering, and continuing to do what is right.  These tools will help build doors that open to opportunity.

The other deck I'll be using this week is the Tao Oracle, created by Ma Deva Padma.  This morning's draw is titled "Approach:"
A  room made of stones opens up to the outdoors, letting in fresh air, beauty and warmth.  Life often feels hard and cold like this room; what a blessing it is when positive change happens.  Lately these pockets of calm and peace are few and far between, and sometimes I just want to do nothing but rest when I find myself in one.  But Padma encourages me to take advantage of them - rest, but don't become a couch potato.  I need to be enjoying these moments because they are where the real change happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment