I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Tightly Wrapped or Undone?

This week I'll be using the Deirdre of the Sorrows Tarot, created by Deirdre O'Donoghue with illustrations by Wayne McGuire.  Today's draw is the Four of Coins:
Dressed in a business attire, a woman strides away from her perfect, fenced-in house with a paper in hand.  What's on the paper?  I'm sure its her checklist for the day.  She is a micromanager archetype; see if Simon North's description rings any bells:  "This control freak is reluctant to delegate, may second-guess everything you do, and can shake your confidence in your own abilities. Simple tasks that you could accomplish quickly if left to your own devices take twice as long. Your efforts may be reduced to dust as the micromanager completely re-does your work."  She thinks she is helping to keep her life and those lives around her in line, stable, and simplified.  She is under the illusion that if she manages well, things will not disintegrate or change like the silo/tower in the background.  But the pictures on the coins tell the true story:  time can't be stopped, life is about movement and change, what's written down as truth today may be disproved tomorrow, and successful existence involves being flexible enough to adapt to the ups and downs of life.  Her shoes have been rubbing blisters on my feet... I'm ready to get back in my own hiking boots.

The oracle deck I'll be using this week is the Victorian Flower Oracle, created by Karen Mahoney and Alex Ukolov.  This morning's card is "Marvel of Peru:"
The creators of the deck give this card the keywords "Party Time," and I have to say it made me think of a drunk with a lampshade on her head.  I contrast this flower-woman with the one in the Four of Coins card above - one is all about control and the other has given up her reins altogether.  I don't think I need to get drunk to let my hair down, but I do think a bit of fun and silliness should definitely be on my "to-do" list today.

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to this 4 of Coins woman, I can be very like her, at work I am a bit of a control freak, I like to do everything myself, no wonder I'm always so tired. Loved your take on this card :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The control issue is one I often think I've gotten a handle on, but it still pops up here and there. And you're right - it is exhausting!

      Delete