I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Fishing Lines

From the Granny Jones Tarot, the Seven of Swords:
Granny doesn't leave much to the imagination with this image.  She covers all the bases: people stealing ideas, someone pretending to be sincere, and Granny herself being stabbed in the back.  But what this card made me think of was how often I use those daggers on my own self, by telling people what I think they want to hear.  I don't mean trying to be tactful rather than brutally honest, but deliberately choosing not to say what I think for fear it may upset someone's apple cart.  There's a fine line between keeping the peace and burying the truth.

From the Button Oracle comes "Fishing:"
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
~ Thoreau
In tying this button in with the card above, I thought of the phrase "fishing for compliments."  Is this a self-esteem issue, or is it like a friend often states: "I'm not much but I'm all I think about"?

No comments:

Post a Comment