I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, January 14, 2013

Common Sense isn't Common

From the Hezicos Tarot, the Knight of Swords:
The tiny sword that hangs from a choker around this man's neck let's me know he is gifted when it comes to communication.  He can sway you with sweetness or slice and dice any difference of opinion.  His helmet shows that he is both literally and figuratively "sharp as a tack."  Those points represent the many standards he holds and the strategies he plans on putting into action.  The problem is that his helmet is as hard as his head; it covers his ears and keeps out suggestions that might be beneficial.  Common sense isn't very common in his intellectual world.  This knight reminds me that no matter how much book knowledge I have, I would do well to heed the words of wisdom that come from the experience of others.

From the Way of the Horse deck comes "Rivalry:"
The airy drawing of these horses tell me this battle is not physical, but a mental and emotional one.  The author indicates this aggression stems from fear - fear of losing something or failing to attain something.  There's nothing wrong with putting up protective boundaries when necessary.  But often when dealing with issues in the mental/emotional realm there is a difference between perception and reality.  Instead of making assumptions, I need to ask and investigate to find what is fact and what is fallacy.  Such actions would be a better use of my time instead of getting hyped up about something that only exists in my head.

6 comments:

  1. Nice read of the knight. I tend to have trouble reading courts like this, where it is too zoomed in/head portrait basically :0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks B; these types of cards make me look then look again to figure them out. :)

      Delete
  2. We get some of our best entertainment watching well educated people flopping about in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your interpretation of the Knight of Swords. I have this deck and suffer the same problem as 'Bonkers' in that the full head close up of the courts makes it difficult for me to draw out much meaning (and the courts in ALL decks are notoriously difficult). Your interpretation of the subtleties in the illustration is great...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks E; the courts are difficult, and I have to really sit and think about them at times.

      Delete