I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, January 28, 2013

Trust Funds

From the Jolanda Tarot, the Nine of Pentacles:
The sun releasing coins like raindrops made me think of the drought conditions we are often threatened with here.  It sounds weird, but air with moisture is lighter than dry air; dry air creates a high-pressure area which deflects storm systems.  Adding to the problem is lack of transpiration when the ground is dry - a process like evaporation where trees and other plants release water into the air (fully grown trees can release hundreds of gallons a day).  Thus no moisture is added to the air, causing an ongoing lack of rain.  I think of this cycle as I look at the Nine of Pentacles; these coins didn't magically appear from nothing - there was effort expended in order for the "rain" to come.  Self-discipline, persistence and hard work is what will allow me to make progress toward my goals.

From the Bird Signs deck comes "Quail:"
Interesting that this bird came up today, as the local plantations have been hosting a quail hunt for bigwigs and celebrities who like to shoot stuff.  In their defense, I will say they are geared toward conservation; they manage the numbers of birds and other game animals to prevent them from disappearing altogether.  Though they hunt the birds, they do so wisely, making sure there will be plenty to hunt again another time.  The creators of the deck tag this bird with the keyword "trust."  While I'm sure they meant another definition of the word, to me I think of something held back and saved, much like the plantations do with the wildlife resources we have here.

4 comments:

  1. Nice combination of decks this week. If you had it to do over would you get the Art of Life again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would, mostly because I love quotes and I love art (especially when it makes me think, "I wonder why they drew THAT? lol). I think of it is more of a daily draw type of deck, and the cards are rather large, which probably would turn some folks off wanting it. I've watched the price go up and down on it; I definitely wouldn't pay the higher price for it though.

      Delete
  2. When we first moved here on the land quail were abundant. But as the coyotes prospered the quail began to disappear. Like the "Bird Signs" deck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I didn't think about the coyotes eating quail, but since they stay on the ground most of the time it makes sense. Wonder what they'll eat when the quail have disappeared... would they try to take down a small deer?

      Delete