I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Dust in the Wind

From the Margarete Petersen Tarot, the Son (Knight) of Coins:
The court cards of the Coins suit have fine-tuned the art of bringing their creative goals to reality; they will persevere until they see the fruits of their labor.  But the Knight/Son has a tendency to stubbornly keep doing what has worked in the past, even if it is no longer working; for him, tradition has been turned into Truth.  Being surrounded by farms outside my city, the idea of doing things the "traditional way" made me think of crop rotation.  Farmers had to learn the hard way, after planting the same crop over and over in the same field, that the soil must be nurtured as well as used.  They eventually began to grow different crops in the same area, a practice that improved soil structure and fertility as well as prevented the build-up of pathogens and pests.  The Son of Coins sits in a spinal twist (yogic position) with a moving stream of water beside him.  He reminds me that using the "tried and true" way of doing things is fine, but I need to be flexible enough to adapt to changes and challenges that come my way.

From the roll of the Elemental Dice today comes "Air with Earth," representing "Dust:"
A dust storm can happen in dry regions when strong winds pick up loose sand and soil, suspending them in the air.  This combination makes me think of the Dust Bowl that occurred in the States during the 1930s which blinded and choked people living on the farms.  The phenomenon was caused by the combination of a severe drought and poor farming practices that did nothing to prevent wind erosion.  A decade of plowing up the deep-rooted grasses that originally kept the soil in place and trapped moisture caused the top soil to be vulnerable to high winds.  Most of the farmers were forced to leave the area and work at starvation wages as migrant workers.  Taken in combination with the card above, I am encouraged not to be trapped by what I think I know.  There will be situations when my knowledge is worthless, and I need to be humble and open-minded enough to listen to other options. 


No comments:

Post a Comment