I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Catbird is Calling...

From the Ship of Fools Tarot, the Vagabond (Fool):
Here is the Fool, fresh off the ship in a new land.  The dog (his animal instincts), tug at his tunic trying to get his attention, "Hey, I think there's a McDonalds over this way!  Let's go get an egg mcmuffin and a coffee!"  But the Fool already has one foot turned in the opposite direction.  He's a free spirit traveling light, and whatever catches his attention is the direction he'll walk toward.  He's unencumbered by fears of the future or regrets of the past; his bare feet are firmly planted in the present, taking in every detail possible.  With sunny days and 80 degree temperatures here, I've been doing a lot of yard work.  I know the heat of summer is just around the corner, so I've been pushing to finish each task I've assigned myself.  With this mindset, it's easy not to notice all the beauty around me - red honeysuckle blooms, the catbird's mewing call, the smell of tea olives, and the breeze on my face.  While getting my yard back in shape is important, it is the "now" that is much more necessary.

From the Wisdom of the Four Winds comes the Spirit of the South, "Dolphin:"
This mammal has lots of lore surrounding it, and is legendary for its friendliness and intelligence.  Brailsford assigns the keyword "joy" to it,  and suggests we live and move in our element - where we find passion and joy.  I find mine both in creating and nature; as I prepare the soil, prune, and plant in the yard, it gives me a chance to do both.  But as the Fool above reminds me, I need to make sure my mind is not in the past or future in order to reap the joy available in the now.


No comments:

Post a Comment