I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, April 1, 2013

Fancied Fallacy

From the Rosetta Tarot, the Seven of Swords:
Even through genetic modification, there is no such thing as a naturally occurring blue rose; they are created only by adding dye to a white rose.  Because of this fact, they often symbolize a longing for the impossible.  In this painting, the rose has been pierced by a central sword, surrounded by six others.  Here the desire has become all-consuming, like an intense hunger.  Such an obsession makes me self-centered, focusing only on the unobtainable.  But the irrational thought not only damages that which once was pure, it leaves behind a residue of thoughts that will bind and haunt me later.  My only protection may be the feedback of trusted friends, who can see my twisted thinking and name it for what it is.

From the Ascension to Paradise comes the "Loon:"
These diving birds can hold their breath for 90 seconds while feeding underwater, but what they are most often known for is their eerie, other-worldly call.  Because of this trait, the authors associate this bird with grief and sadness.  For me, I easily recognize the emotions of fear and anger, but the depression that comes from loss can creep over me before I'm consciously aware of it.  This feeling, more than any other, can lead me to isolate myself, making me vulnerable to thoughts only loosely based in reality.  Even the loon must come up for air when it dives deep in the water; I too need to release my pain in order to clear the fog from my head.


1 comment:

  1. Must be a border thing, all the loons I've run into in Canada were always laughing.
    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete