I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Nurturing and Natural Rhythms

From the Illuminated Tarot, the Empress:
I recently cleaned out a large raised bed that I originally used for herbs.  Now that it gets mostly dappled sun and isn't suited for an herbal garden, I decided to plant flower seeds.  First I had to dig out the roots of trees that had grown into the bed from underground, then I had to add about six jumbo bags of soil.  The seeds were a variety, and since they had to be buried at various depths, I used a marked dowel to make measured holes to drop them in.  At this point, I wish I could just sit back and let the seeds do the rest of the work.  But instead, I have to water to keep the soil damp, pull up any weeds that pop up, remove limbs and sticks that fall into the bed, and chase off the squirrels who see it as a nice place to dig.  The Empress reminds me that no matter what I want to grow or create, I'm going to have to give it attention and care.  Nurturing  anything in order to allow it to mature is going to take a commitment on my part.

From the Dreaming in Color deck this morning comes the card "Patience:"
The texture and color of this card is feathery and soft, reminding me of the nature of patience.  There is no pushing and shoving to get to the head of the line; there is no shouting to have my voice heard above all others.  It is a gentleness that allows things to happen on their own timetable.  Those seeds I've planted will eventually grow if I keep nurturing them, but they have their own inner clock.  I am the one who must adjust to the natural rhythm and pace of life, not the other way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment