I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Common Sense Setting

From the Tarot of Durer, the Five of Pentacles:
On a cold, snowy evening, a tired-looking man and woman knock at a door.  The man doesn't look like he's dressed warmly enough, and the cloak he wears looks ragged.  Over the door is a bas-relief of an eagle, a symbol of strength and power, something this couple seems in short supply of at the moment.  Today I have plans to do some landscaping work in the yard, and I am reminded by this card to be humble enough to ask for help when I need it.  A few years ago, my stubborn "I can do it myself" attitude resulted in a torn rotator cuff - an injury I don't care to endure again.  My strength and stamina might not be what it was, but hopefully my common sense has been reinforced to make up for it.

From the Philosopher's Stone deck comes the card "Sharing:"
The two stone people sharing the weight of a boulder again emphasize the need for support.  Why would I refuse such help?  I can think of three reasons right off the bat: pride, the desire to have things done "my way," and the fear that I might bother someone by asking.  None of these excuses are worth much.  When I try to to go there, I need a default circuit in my brain that automatically takes me back to a common sense setting.

2 comments: