I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Moms and Masks

From the Nigel Jackson Tarot, the Empress:
I had to smile when I chose this card for my morning draw, as I leave this morning for an overnight stay with my mom. For the past couple of years she's hosted what I call the "cousin summit," a summer get-together for me and the three cousins I grew up with. My mom is now the matriarch of the family, and she feels a responsibility to keep us connected. She knows that everyone is always busy, and left to our own devices, we would probably not make the effort. Unlike the insanity of the holidays, our time is spent relaxing, talking, playing lots of card games, and taking long walks. We put aside our personal political and religious views and concentrate on what's important - our love for each other.

 The roll of the dice for the Sabian Symbols produced "Aquarius 18:"
 A man being unmasked at a masquerade.
Though I would like to pretend I don't wear masks, I know I do. I suppose I consider it a way to protect myself from others who may not share my likes and dislikes. But if I'm not careful, this can become who I am - the pretender. I may not unmask myself to everyone, but I do need a few folks (like family) I feel safe enough with to be vulnerable. And if I do it enough with them, perhaps I can learn to do it outside my comfort zone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment