I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Small Victories

From the Gaian Tarot, the Four of Fire (Wands):
In a desert under the light of a full moon, a woman stands in a sacred circle. Colbert describes her version of the Four of Wands as a celebration of one's personal power. I don't mark my personal successes much, mostly because I think I don't have any. But it's really a misconception on my part; I'm only looking for the "big" moments, not the small ones. If I look hard enough, I can find small victories and joys. I got my aching body out of bed and went for a long walk at 7:30 am this morning (missing the gnats and the humid heat). The flower seeds that I planted a month ago and have watered religiously are beginning to sprout. I managed to find a new computer at a reasonable price and learn a new Windows system. I've kept up a daily blog for over two years and a daily nature journal for almost a year and a half. None of these things will get me listed in history books, but they are small personal achievements that help keep me grounded in this fast-paced world.

From the Goddess Oracle comes "Sphinx:"
In the Greek tradition, the sphinx had the body of a lion, the wings of an eagle, and the face of a woman.  She wasn't like the more benevolent Egyptian version; if you wanted to pass her gates, you'd better know the answer to her riddle or death would be inevitable. The Sphinx reminds me that challenges aren't necessarily bad. I need to stretch and work out my mental and spiritual muscles just as much as I do my physical ones.  Otherwise, it won't be a sphinx that kills me, but the monotony of boredom.  Life as a slug doesn't seem very enticing.

No comments:

Post a Comment