I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Transformation is a Steep Climb

This week I'll be using the Llewellyn Tarot created by Anna-Marie Ferguson and published by Llewellyn.  Today's draw is the Universe (World):
Ferguson's version of the World/Universe is based on Cadair Idris ("chair of Idris") seen here:
This horseshoe-shaped mountain in Wales is regarded as the "Great Seat of Poetry;" legend has it that those who spend the night staring at the stars from its peak will return either as a madman or poet.  When I was younger, I backpacked along the Appalachians.  I distinctly remember the heat and sweat, rocky trails, and copperheads barely avoided.  After climbing hard for several exhausting hours, all I could think of was, "What could be worth all this trouble?"  Then I would reach the top, and the view would be so amazing it would leave me speechless.  The Universe/World encourages me not to give up halfway up the mountain; I will eventually see a broader, holistic view instead of just random details.

The oracle deck I'll be using this week is called Beasts of Albion.  It was created by Miranda Gray and published by Aquarian.  This morning's card is "Snake:"
Because of the necessity of shedding its skin as it grows, it makes sense that Gray sees the snake as the "Path of Change."  As I grow spiritually, mentally, and emotionally, there are old ideas and values I must slough off in order to make room for the new ones.  The torc the snake winds around has two ram heads on the ends, reminding me that I will need courage and determination to continue to adapt to each change as it comes.  Like reaching the mountain peak, the result of my efforts will eventually open my eyes (and mind) to a new perspective.

1 comment: