I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, July 15, 2013

Grasp Reflex

From the Legend of the Divine Tarot, the King of Wands:
The King of Wands knows his element well, understanding the advantages of fire as well as its destructive powers. His flame is contained, allowing it to be used for beneficial purposes and prevent accidents. The recent Zimmerman acquittal was followed by passionate responses across the country, some peaceful and some violent. Anger at the injustice is understandable, but I firmly believe that reacting with hatred will create more of the same. The resulting backlash will be a proliferation of paranoid gun owners - definitely not a constructive solution. No matter what is fueling my passion, positive change will only come if it is channeled in productive ways.

From the Steps to Serenity deck comes "Letting Go:"
"Life should be touched, not strangled." ~ Ray Bradbury
Stroke or place something in the palm of a newborn, and it will automatically close its fingers in a grasp. The grasp reflex only lasts a few months, but as the child grows into an adult, he or she begins to develop an urge to hold on to other more ephemeral things. When I try to control a situation beyond my ability, I become an emotional wreck. All that fiery, creative inspiration illustrated in the card above will go out with a sizzle, because my entire focus will be on changing what can't be changed. But if I can relax my grasp, I may be amazed at what appears in the palm of my open hand (and mind).    

No comments:

Post a Comment