I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Where's My Windex?

From the Motherpeace Tarot, the Hanged One:
I immediately identified the cypress trees in the Hanged One card; we have bald cypress trees just a stone's throw from my house. Their soft leaves, more like feathers than needles, are dropped in the winter (thus its common name). These cypress trees also develop "knees" in poorly drained areas or places where there is constant water. Originally it was thought these cone-shaped root projections provided the tree with oxygen when underwater, but now it is known that the knees provide support and stabilization. The Hanged One is like having the rug pulled out from under my feet; what I counted on to give me a sense of control and stability is suddenly gone. It illustrates the need for the surrender of my ego to what is. It teaches me to relax and accept the moment - to do anything else is futile. However as I wait in my suspended state, wisdom is available if I cease struggling and remain receptive.

From the Toltec Oracle comes "Teskatlipoka:"
Teskatlipoka literally means smoked mirror. Imagine finding an old mirror in an attic covered with dust and dirt; it would be impossible to see a clear reflection. The message of this card is that I am not seeing myself accurately (which might be the reason for the Hanged One above). The hand in the center seems to further block my view, almost as if fear is preventing me from taking a deeper look. The problem with distorted images is not only is it impossible to see my character flaws, but neither can I see my strengths. Maybe with a combination of Windex and meditation I can get rid of the dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment