I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, September 23, 2013

Being Bored

From the Tarot in de Herstelde Orde (Restored Order Tarot), the Four of Cups:
As autumn leaves fall around him, a man sits under a tree with his arms and legs crossed. This guy's body language speaks clearly - his mind is as closed as a Campbell's soup can. The fallen leaves made me think of a project I recently completed. I was fired up about it, and all my free time went into finishing it. But now that it's over, I've got that "let-down" feeling. I was happy to see its completion, yet there seems to be a void where all the busyness was before. I'm vacillating between being bored and being tired. Yet I don't think the emptiness will last for long; my muse is trying to tempt me with another cup, so my rest period is likely to be up soon.

From the Oracle of the Kabbalah comes "Gimmel:"
artwork by Adam Rhine
The Talmud teaches the "foot" of Gimmel is running after the next letter (Dalet, which means "poor"). It indicates a need to move out of my self-absorption (as seen above) and reach out to someone with an act of kindness. Gimmel is associated with the number 3; like a three-legged stool, it brings balance where there was none before. In his companion book, Seidman writes, "Gimmel reminds me that the way to refreshment is action." In my case, it is an act of love directed toward another that will bring me out of my own blue funk.



4 comments:

  1. I suppose other arts are also, but quilters are famous for their UFO pile. UnFinished Objects.
    I was no better, I just always felt I had 3 projects on the go, if/when I did get bored I'd move between them.
    As part of FlyLady I decided to get them out and see what was needed to finish them. Holy Cow I had FOURTEEN. I was appalled at myself, truly.

    I made myself private blog I called Devoted to the Cloth, took pictures of every project and when finished I added a picture. It took me about three years but I can now say I'm UFOless ;)
    Happy finished project, well done you.
    Love that Gimmel card. I may have to pick up that oracle. My friend in Canada sent me home with some decks she didn't care for, I may do a trading thread again..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, 14 unfinished ones?! Your quilt muse works in overdrive. Good on you for finishing them all.
      Just as a heads up, the Kabbalah cards from the set are NOT the ones I'm using on the blog. The set ones are rather boring (see here):
      http://www.learntarot.com/okdesc.htm
      The book, however is excellent, which is why I keep the set. The images I'm using are googled ones.

      Delete
  2. I like the anticipation of a new project or a new focus of interest. It feels exciting, buzzing. You know there is something coming, but you can't quite grasp it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the anticipation that comes with the planning stages is the best part of the whole process (with the exception of seeing the finished product). :)

      Delete