I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Blooming While Sauntering

This week I'll be using the Spiral Tarot book and deck set, created by Kay Steventon and published by U.S. Games. This morning's draw is the Ace of Pentacles:
I tend to live in my head at times, so this tree spirit with its roots firmly planted in the pentacle indicates I need to get grounded in reality. The peacock in the top of her branches is known for the "eyes" on his feathers, and suggests I should look around at the resources available to me. There is a sense of "bloom where you're planted" with this card. In other words, change what I can but make the best of what I can't. The peahen sits on a nest in the tree while waiting  for her eggs to hatch. Likewise, the physical changes I want to see will come if I consistently do the work and have enough patience for the results to appear.

The oracle deck I'll be using this week is the Sacred Journey Cards, created by Cheryl Thiele and published by Pomegranate. Today's card is "Saunter:"
I had to chuckle when I saw this card, because it describes my early morning walks. While I do enjoy the exercise, my true purpose is to use my walk as a meditation - paying attention to whatever I happen to encounter. In her booklet, Thiele says the practice of sauntering can help to "quiet our expectations regarding when things will occur and where we experience them." Here is an opportunity for an adventure of exploration.


7 comments:

  1. "bloom where you're planted" This almost made me cry. It's what I have to do in order to stay happy. But thinking about it made me realise I am getting so much better at it. So thanks for this post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (((Ellen))) Hope you find lots of sunshine and fertile soil where you are. :)

      Delete
  2. Sauntering has been practically bred out of us. We only walk for exercise, the faster the better, must sweat, must get that heart rate up, must pass the poor dull rube in front of us...just how damn fast does our heart rate need to be anyway? Why? Cripes, leave us alone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally drive people crazy who want to be my walking companion. I'm always stopping to look closely at a bug, sniff a tea olive bloom, or watch a hawk overhead. :D

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, the Spiral Tarot! I went straight from this post to Amazon and ordered it. :)
    Have you trimmed yours?

    I, too, am a saunterer. I love strolling. Thank you for a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did trim it - those bright pink borders made my eyes twitch, lol. For me, the borderectomy really made a difference in seeing the images in the cards. Thanks for stopping by Eowyn! :)

      Delete