I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Fertile Soil Underneath the Concrete

From the Spiral Tarot, the Tower:
Did you know that intellectualization is considered a defense mechanism? It allows a person to avoid painful or uncomfortable emotions by focusing on facts and logic. It falls into the "neurotic" defense mechanism category, a group many adults use that isn't as pathological as some of the other defenses. Such a defense can have short-term advantages in coping but may cause long-term problems down the line. Avoidance can keep us from experiencing the emotion, but we also neglect to see and act on the changes needed in our lives. And here is the Tower in a nutshell - "If I don't see it or experience it, then it's not real and I don't need to deal with it." So life sends us a slap upside the head - not as a form of punishment - but to tear down the walls we've built between us and reality. Liberation may look and feel terrifying, but its long-term results are much healthier than any emotional wall.

From the Sacred Journey Cards comes "Fertilize:"
I suppose living in an area surrounded by farmland made me think of bags of fertilizer. Bags are generally labeled with three numbers. The first number is nitrogen for leafy plant growth, the second is for phosphorus for healthy root growth, and the last is for potassium which promotes flower and fruit formation. But if I take a "Tower" perspective and don't deal with anything (forget the fertilizer just buy more bricks), I might as well pour concrete over everything. I abdicate my right to choose and pretend my fantasy will work itself out on its own. Well, hell... I've never cared much for unicorns and such. I guess I better go dust off my hoe and see if I have any fish emulsion left.

4 comments:

  1. That's the second Tower I come across today. I't a good thing am not over thinking this. Just let go and move on :) Happy hoeing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure if I take off the blinders, I won't have to deal with the Tower experience. But ignoring things is just asking for a wallop!

      Delete
  2. Back in the 70's a doctor once told me don't worry about being neurotic. We are either neurotic or psychotic, neurotic is better. I've never thought to have that verified :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with him; I think the way our society works you are trained to be neurotic.

      Delete