I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Searching for Fertile Ground

This week I'll be using the Tarot of the Secret Forest created by Lucia Mattioli and published by Lo Scarabeo. This morning's draw is the King of Pentacles:
Branches radiate out from this king's crown, and roots from his legs burrow down into the earth. He is a stable and secure fellow, but is he so firmly attached that he tries nothing new? The live oak trees here are busy producing hundreds of acorns now; some may roll downhill or be buried by squirrels and sprout in the spring. Other plants have underground "runners;" they send these root-like branches out to look for a patch of sun away from the parent plant to create a new plant. Though he may be (quite literally) grounded with commitments and obligations in one place, the King of Pentacles will continually send out "seeds" to test the opportunity for growth in other areas. Half the fun for him is watching a "child" of his develop and expand. He would tell me to keep my options open by dropping suggestions and ideas and see what happens. You never can tell what might sprout.

The other deck I'll be using this week is the Faeries' Oracle by Brian Froud (text by Jessica MacBeth) and published by Simon & Schuster. Today's card is "Spirit Dancer:"
This fairy represents creative expression, the kind that allows us to explore feelings, experiences and our truths. This type of expression also allows us to share ourselves with others and make a connection with them. It requires more than thinking or talking, it involves physically doing something. I tend to hesitate to share part of me in this way because it opens me up to possible criticism and put-downs. But the King of Pentacles would remind me to keep trying because eventually I'm likely to find fertile ground.

2 comments:

  1. It's more difficult to keep trying when you are human. I don't think an acorn will have less self worth if it doesn't sprout.:)
    Beautiful how this suit begins with a seed and ends with this king who sends out his own seeds again; The cycle of life
    I am looking forward to these two decks. They both strike me as a bit difficult so I am curious how this week will go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice to let things "roll off" instead of taking them personally. :)
      I love this deck for its connection to nature and the cycle of life.

      Delete