I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Sturdy but Stubborn

From the Shadowscapes Tarot, the King of Pentacles:
This king is as sturdy as the trunk that makes up his body. The crop of acorns his branches are producing speak of his skills in finances. But because he "has," he is often flooded by the "have nots" who want to stand under his tree and gobble whatever nuts he drops. But this king will have none of that; he's generous, but he doesn't want to become like one of those self-feeders you buy for your pet. He'd rather give you an acorn, explain how to cultivate it, and let you grow your own crop. For him, self-sufficiency is the golden ticket. The only vice of the King of Pentacles is his stubbornness when someone suggests trying something new (he's big on tradition). If the winds of change blow too hard, he's liable to be uprooted and fall over.

From the Cedar Runes come "Sowilo:"
The sun is ever a joy in the hopes of seafarers
when they journey away over the fishes' bath,
until the courser of the deep bears them to land.
~ Anglo-Saxon poem
The rune Sowilo means "sun" and is associated with hope and success. In the Icelandic poem, it is called the "destroyer" of ice. Both these poems make me think of being stuck (frozen) without a solution to a problem. I used to hate it when people told me to "sleep on it," but now I know they were on to something. The more I try to force a solution, the more it seems to hide. But when I relax, my intuition can kick in and offer ideas and guidance. I'd do well to avoid the King of Pentacle's stubborn mindset; instead I'll keep a window open to allow fresh air to blow through.

2 comments:

  1. Yes he is stubborn, but I focus mainly on his trustworthy qualities because he reminds me often of my dad. (who was stubborn to:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the plus side of being stubborn means you won't be easily talked into risky behaviors or investments. :)

      Delete