I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Accumulated Complications

From the Tarot of Timeless Truth, the Ten of Pentacles:
I don't see any cell phones, laptops or fancy cars, but this family still seems to be very happy. They do however have a cozy hut, warm clothes, a toasty fire and a lovely view. When was the last time you felt truly content? For me it was when my life was simple; I didn't have a lot of "stuff," but I had all I needed, including people who cared about me. My life got complicated when I added more to the pile. How much do I really need to sustain myself? I imagine I would not need all I have accumulated now, just enough to feed and maintain my body, soul and mind.

From the Rune Cards deck comes "Woden / Os:"
I was surprised to learn that Woden, the Anglo-Saxon god of magic and healing, was thought to be linked to the idea behind Father Christmas. It is said he rode across the sky at midwinter on an 8 legged horse delivering peace, goodwill and presents. Woden is likened to Odin, both associated to Os/Ansuz, the rune of communication. The gift of speech is a two-edged sword, and can be used to build up or tear down, to heal or to harm. This rune reminds me to use my words wisely and with tact, or else what has been achieved (as in the above card), might come tumbling down.

6 comments:

  1. We used to have that feeling when we weer away with our tent for a few weeks in the summer. There was really nothing vital important to go home to; Everyone/thing we loved was already there.
    Odin: that is why when we celebrate Sinterklaas (is also Odin) at december 5 we give each other the first letter of our name in chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a cool (and yummy) tradition! I had no idea Odin/Woden was connected with the holidays until now. :)

      Delete
    2. Most people don't know why we have this tradition. I and I am not the one telling them they are eating runes! :D

      Delete
    3. Hee hee... I'm guessing most people who celebrate Christmas don't know where a lot of there family traditions originated from either!

      Delete
  2. I was thinking about simple yesterday. I brought a bare minimum of stuff when we moved here and am getting along fine, and no need to run to town twice a day to get needs. I wish I had a stapler and glue stick. I'm certainly managing without.

    Technology has enriched our lives in so many ways, but when life was simple for the average person, from 50's back, we may not have been any happier, but we sure as heck were healthier mentally and physically.

    Not sure I'm buying the father christmas shtick...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you read the tradition about Sinterklaas that Ellen wrote about above? I looked up the chocolate letter thing and the tradition does seem to be widespread in the Netherlands at least. :)

      Delete