I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Elves and Elderflowers

From the Fairytale Tarot, the Eight of Coins:
A poor shoemaker, down to his last piece of leather, wakes up the next morning to find one of the most beautiful pair of shoes he's ever seen. With the money he makes from them, he's able to buy more leather. Each morning, he finds well-made shoes waiting to be sold. The shoemaker and his wife finally stay up one night and see elves doing the work. Wanting to thank them for their help, the wife sews little clothes for them as a gift (and in elf-lore, releases them from their obligation of help). When I am trying to learn or accomplish something, I have times when I think, "I just can't do this." Yet if the willingness to make the effort remains, I can manage to keep plugging along by relying on the inspiration and expertise of others.

From the Tree Affirmation Cards was drawn "Elderflower:"
My attention is captivated and enchanted.
Have you ever been enjoying something so much, you completely lose track of time and your surroundings? I often do this outside in the yard as I pause and watch the bumblebees or birds. Such an intense focus is required in the Eight of Coins to develop and hone one's craft. There are so many distractions, it's easy to get off track. But I must carve out time to devote to my goal if I'm ever to reach it. My goal for today is to finish gathering items for my mom's birthday present. At 78 she doesn't much care for "dust-arounds," she's only interested in things she can actually use. As a result, her gifts can sometimes be hilariously mundane. (So far in her box I've got a 4-deck card shuffler, lithium batteries, Goop, and a music cd.) I've still got one more idea I'm working on though...



3 comments:

  1. The Elder tree is sacred to Holda, a Germanic mother goddess (Mother Holle), one of my favorite goddesses. She is a symbol of virtue and hard work, in particular of spinning, which is in my opinion a perfect example for the Eight of Pentacles kind of work.
    So for me great combination of cards:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool is that!? Thank you dear Ellen for sharing that connection and information. :) This is part of what I love about connecting to other folks through the internet - I learn so much that I would otherwise not know!

      Delete
    2. So do I! I've learned so much form the comments I've received! :D

      Delete