I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Gee and Haw

The new tarot I'll be using this week is the Buckland Romani deck and book set, created by Raymond Buckland, illustrated by Lissanne Lake and published by Galde Press. Today's draw is the Chariot:
I went to a meditation group last night made of a widely diverse collection of people. I've been asked to do some "beginners" classes with them, and I have decided to use the idea behind the Chariot as an explanation as to why this spiritual tool can be helpful. Last night I woke up in a sweat with my heart pounding (menopause), and my mind immediately started churning. Those thoughts brought up some not-so-pleasant emotions, which in turn produced more anxious thoughts. The irony of course is that I was still lying in my bed safe and sound; nothing had changed except my thought/emotion meter. And that's how I see these two horses - one as mental and one as emotional. They are a team that can drag me wherever they like unless I get them under control. I've got to learn to use the reins so I can direct them where I choose to go.

The oracle I'll use this week is the Lakota Sweat Lodge deck and book set, published by Destiny Books. The creators - Helene Sarkis, Ann Louise Goulene, Wendy Meg Seigel and Alexander Sarkis - based their information on the teachings of Chief Archie Fire Lame Deer. This morning's card is "Cha Wakan - Tree of Life:"
The keyword associated with this card is "acceptance," and the opening text reads: In me all life is One: There is no demarcation of 'other.' My ego would like people to understand and do things like I do, no questions asked. The meditation group I'm supposed to lead ranges from agnostics/atheists to fundamental Christians, and they are from various races, ages and socio-economic categories. I can present to them the various ways I've found to meditate, but I can't force them to choose to follow any direction I give. My job is going to be to keep my ego (that produces the thoughts and emotions of the Chariot) in line and realize the only person I might have control over is me. Then I can accept these people just as they are without trying to change them.

2 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful reading too. I like how you've connected the two cards to this meditation class. My heart would be pounding to if I would would be in your shoes. To see the two horses as emotions and mind is a great analogy
    I hope you will enjoy giving this class :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen; I always enjoy teaching meditation, but I'm usually a bundle of nerves at the beginning (wanting everything to go just right and wanting everyone to enjoy it). It is funny that the Chariot is the example I'm going to use with them, yet it was the card I pulled today to remind me not to let my own reins slip! :D

      Delete