I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Burning Down the House

From Tarot Lukumi, the Four of Pentacles:
These four towers represent the castle of King Chango, an actual king who later became an Orisha through the miracles he performed after his death to save his people. Chango is one of the “four pillars” of Santeria, along with Obatala, Oshun, and Yemaya. As a powerful though violent earthly king, his rule was marked by continuous battles. He had supernatural powers - he could produce thunder and lightning - which became his downfall. He unintentionally destroyed his own palace by lightning. Chango offers me a lesson in overdoing, whether it involves money, health or time. Even when my motives are good, I can overextend myself through exercise or contributions (of my finances, energy or time). There's no need to burn down my castle in order to acknowledge the advice of the Four of Pentacles.

From the Diloggun Cards comes the throw known as "Oworin (6 mouths):"
Ifa: To be told and to like it; to be given advice and to accept it; to take advice in order to know what the world is like.
Proverb: Advise and counsel them; if they do not learn, let adversity teach them.
In twelve-step programs, there is a saying, "Our best thinking got us here." It points to our refusal to be open-minded, our unwillingness to listen to the experiences and insights of others. I am happy that I won't be leading the discussion at the book club today, and that I will be just a participant rather than a teacher at the meditation group on Friday. There are times when I need to take the cotton out of my ears and stick it in my mouth; then perhaps I can see or hear the oncoming train before it runs over me. 

2 comments:

  1. HaHa! I like the cotton swop
    This four of Pentacles looks a lot like the Thoth version. When you add lightning to it this card easily can become The Tower times four. I will take your advice to heart and try to maintain some balance today so I wont wear myself out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember feeling so offended when I was given the cotton advice. :D But it does help when I can step back, listen without judgment then reassess things.

      Delete