I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Gasp...Need Air!

From the Da Vinci Enigma Tarot, the Ten of Air (Swords):
What do you have to relinquish?
Because I've been waiting to hear from someone, I half expected to see the Hanged Man show up today. But due to the obsessive thoughts that are causing my misery, I got the Ten of Air instead. Have you ever done something impulsive in an effort to be kind? I secretly dropped off a set of mala beads I'd made yesterday to a woman who is going for a biopsy today. She's in a book club I'm a part of, though I would say we were more acquaintances than friends. It wasn't too long ago that I went through something similar, and I just wanted her to know someone was thinking of her. I haven't heard from her (I put a note with them), so immediately I began assuming: a) she thinks I'm weird or b) she thinks the mala beads are inappropriate. Drawing this particular card has helped me reframe the situation: a) this is about her, not about me and b) the intention behind the action was an empathetic one, so I need not worry.

From the Insectorum Divinorum comes the "Vivarium:"
A vivarium (Latin, meaning "place of life") is generally an enclosed ecosystem used for observing and studying plants and animals. Do you remember the Public Service Announcement from years ago about "this is your brain on drugs?" When I look at the vivarium above, I think "this is your brain when you think obsessively." All my thoughts are enclosed, battering themselves against the glass like the bugs. No other ideas or possible solutions can get inside. Time to unscrew that top and let some fresh air flow through.

2 comments:

  1. This is so recognizable. My thoughts are all over the place when I am anxious or worried. "this is not about me" is a wise and helping thought. This was an act of kindness from you and there can be millions of reasons why you haven't heard from her yet. People often don't do what you expect them to do.
    Try to put it aside and see what will happen.( I know; easier said than done:))
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's almost embarrassing to admit how self-centered I still am at times. The tarot has a great way of being a mirror to show me what I'm not seeing! :D

      Delete