I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Not Given But Earned

From the Tarot Lukumi, the Nine of Pentacles:
This card is represented by Eleggua, the first Orisha created by Olodumare. Said to be present everywhere, he is associated with all doors, roads and crossroads. Though not stingy, Eleggua is a bit of a trickster (shown by the sun and the lightning bolt on the horizon). For instance, he may allow a man to comfortably retire, but then asks, "So what are you going to do with yourself now?" The roads and doors of this Orisha point to a path that must be walked and opportunities that must be taken to achieve success. For the Nine of Pentacles that means self-disciple and hard work added to perseverance and self-reliance. This is not an accomplishment that is given, but one that is earned by traveling those roads.

From the Diloggun Cards comes the reading "Ofun (16 mouths):"
Ifa: Do not speak of those who are ill of mind or crippled in body. Do not leave your home and speak badly of those in trouble.
Proverb: The skin of the leopard is beautiful, but not his heart.
When life is good (the Nine of Pentacles above), why would you tear someone down through character assassination? I think it may be fear operating at some level, a fear of losing something that one has and loves, or a fear of not getting something one desires and thinks he/she deserves. Yet the tarot card makes plain that it is my effort or lack of effort that is more likely to produce the cause and effect. The cowrie shells suggest it would be more beneficial to focus on cleaning up my own character and concentrating on my duties instead of pointing fingers at another.

4 comments:

  1. My guess he is walking Towards the Ten of pentacles To honest I miss the sense of reward, of repose which you often get from a nine of pentacles. Usually it is one of my "sighs"cards :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there does feel like there is no rest for the weary, but at the same time I get the feeling I need to take time to enjoy and be more appreciative of what I do have too. :)

      Delete
  2. I agree, I see him having to continue on through rain and shine - but then, how often are we just handed something without having to work for it? And I'm sure that victory tastes sweeter when you know you sweated to get it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kid used to go a school with many privileged kids who got whatever they wanted; but they never seemed to really appreciate any of it! I think working hard for something gives it meaning and creates gratitude.

      Delete