I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, May 19, 2014

The Power of Sweetness

From the Tarot Lukumi, the Ten of Cups:
One of the first things I noticed about this card is the empty well behind the male. This is Orunmila, the Orisha of wisdom, knowledge and divination. Having a passion for science, philosophy and intellectual thought can only bring partial satisfaction, which is where the Orisha Oshun comes into the picture. She reigns over love, beauty and diplomacy - she represents what makes life worth living. I have friends and family that I enjoy sharing cerebral hobbies and activities with, yet I am certain that our relationship would not be sustained over time without our deeper, emotional connection. I am encouraged by the Ten of Cups to find a balance between knowledge and love if I want to fill all those wells.

From the Diloggun Cards comes "Oyeku (2 mouths):"
Ifa: The prevalence of temper outbursts and cursing are the causes of difficulty in one’s life.
Proverb: Ashes fly back in the face of he who throws them.
I find that the people I love the most are the ones I get angriest with. Is it because we intimately know each other's tender, painful spots? Or is it because we expect more from people who are supposed to care about us, and we get offended when they don't meet these expectations? I often forget about the "unconditional" part of love that I supposedly espouse. The Orisha Oshun above would suggest diplomacy and respectful communication, otherwise I'm going to put a crack in that well that no amount of cement will ever fix.

3 comments:

  1. If it wasn't for love I would be an actual Hermit :)
    "I find that the people I love the most are the ones I get angriest with". Perhaps this is also true because we feel safe to get angry with the ones we love the most.We know most likely they will forgive our outbursts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Perhaps this is also true because we feel safe to get angry with the ones we love the most.We know most likely they will forgive our outbursts." Ah, yes, that makes sense. The people I am least likely to show my anger to are the ones I think who would punish me for it.

      Delete
    2. This was a lesson I've learned from my girls when they entered puberty :D

      Delete