I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, May 2, 2014

Try a Little Tenderness

From the Granny Jones Australian Tarot, the Tower:
The expression "a house of cards" originated from the hobby of building structures from playing cards. I've never been able to build one myself, but my ego is quite the architect when it comes to building internal ones. It has told me in the past that I'll be protected by my education, my religion, my savings, my work ethic, my healthy habits, my talents or my friends and family. Such expectations literally are a house of cards; they eventually collapse, because life doesn't build protective boundaries around anyone. Now this fact doesn't mean I need to hang my head and use "woe is me" as a mantra. It just means I'm no more or no less special than anyone else if I happen to get hit with a curve ball. As the Buddha said, "Cease expecting and you have all things."

From the Button Oracle comes the "Fawn:"
gentleness, tenderness, kindness
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. ~ Leo Buscaglia
So what do you do when the unexpected happens, when the tower of cards you've been patiently building comes crashing down? I hate to admit it, but I get angry. Now I don't mean a little miffed, but the "I shall rain fire and brimstones down upon your head!" kind of anger. I want someone or something to blame (not myself of course). I am trying to learn to push the pause button before I do, and take Otis's advice to try a little tenderness instead. I've found compassion makes the recovery process much easier.

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps we are this first ones who needs our compassion, because we've been all to eager to believe in our illusionary safety measures. We have been taught to do this and we've been teaching it our children too.To believe nothing is certain is scary but it opens every door, so everything is possible:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing is certain but everything is possible - that's a good way to look at things. :)

      Delete
  2. That's a hilarious Tower! Ha yes, we all wish for "safety" and try to bargain for it - "if I'm good…".
    I have a picture in my bedroom of a butterfly emerging from a quagmire of dark colours, with the phrase, "When nothing is certain… anything is possible" written on it.

    I'm loving the Button Oracle - sweet and different. Glad you've been finding your compassion, for yourself, too, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get more out of this version of the Tower than the one made of stone with the lightning bolt! :D And it definitely was a fit description of what happened last night, with me wanting to be a peacekeeper (and failing miserably).
      Glad you like the Button Oracle!

      Delete