I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, May 1, 2014

You Can't "Unsee" It

From the Granny Jones Australian Tarot, the Page of Swords:
I am very familiar with this particular Page because it represented my daughter well when she was young. The Page of Swords learns by being a keen observer and listener and by asking (thousands) of questions. Those brain synapses fire faster than you can blink, making connections and shaping ideas. Raising such a child, I was constantly kept on my toes by what came out of her mouth. Tact takes a while to develop, and she had a habit of delivering "truths" with lots of people around. Now her pronouncements were generally fact, but most people don't want to see or acknowledge the pink elephant in the room even when someone points it out. This Page refuses to let me bury my head in the sand.

From the Button Oracle comes the "Skull:"
change, endings/beginnings
Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely. ~ Karen Kaiser Clark
Besides birth, I suppose death is one of the greatest transitions we experience. Even being an observer of a person's passing can shake a person, perhaps waking them up. The Page above laid out the truth, now the Skull demands I accept and act on it. There will be no more pretending. Last night, on the eve of Beltane/May Day, I did a meditation with the Sacred Wheel I created. Every position and item on it is directly connected to where I live. It presents a mirror I often don't want to glance in, but once I see it, I can't wipe it from my brain. Now I am responsible for what I do with it.

7 comments:

  1. Wow Sycamore this is so beautiful. I can imagine sitting and meditation with it can be very empowering and at the seem time very confronting.
    I've drawn this page for myself too. I like his inquisitiveness and straightforward.
    My eldest was like that too (still is sometimes :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that Page of Swords tells it like it is and doesn't mince words. :)
      Thank you for your kind words about the Wheel. I've tried using Native American medicine wheels, but I just didn't connect at all to them. I needed something native to MY place - it doesn't make sense to have a Long Snows Moon in a place that doesn't get snow, lol. So I based this one the animals, plants, minerals and climate of where I live. I felt an instant, deeper understanding once I did. :)

      Delete
    2. I can imagine how more connected you are with your own wheel. I've been dabbling with naming the moons for myself. Our Dutch names are quite suitable for our climate but sometimes they feel off for me.

      Delete
  2. nice to see you finished wheel. I've been thinking a lot about the year wheel this spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you working on one native to your place? Or did you finish yours?

      Delete
  3. That Wheel looks amazing! I imagine a lot of knowledge and thought must go into the placement of each part. What a wonderful thing to work on, and then use :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks NP; since this is one native to the flora and fauna in my area, it makes it much more useful for me when meditating on it. :)

      Delete