I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Keep Riding but Change Course

This week I'll be using the Victorian Fairy Tarot, a deck and book set created by Lunaea Weatherstone and Gary A. Lippincott and published by Llewellyn. I will also being using the Haindl Rune Oracle, a deck and book set by Hermann Haindl and Nigel Pennick and published by U.S. Games. However, I prefer the text The Serpent and the Eagle by Chris Travers instead of the Pennick book, so I'll be relying on it as I interpret the runes. Today's draw is the Knight of Winter (Swords) and "Kan (aka Kenaz):"
With his cloak billowing behind him and a crystal sword in his hand, the Winter Knight rides his mink at top speed. He's a man on a mission; he has a solution or an idea that he believes requires immediate action. The blackthorn in the background is a hint that this knight isn't much of a diplomat. He might have intelligence and be able to express his opinions well, but like the savage thorns on the shrub, he has no tact. His sharp words and insensitive delivery often fall on deaf ears.
Kenaz (also written as <) represents something hot and flaming. The Old English rune poem describes it as a torch burning clear and bright. There is an emphasis on seeing the truth, a breakthrough that can allow someone headed in the wrong direction to change course. I am encouraged by these cards to be kind and respectful in delivering my messages or opinions. If I want the information to be heard, I'll have to shine a light in the shadows, looking for any stubbornness or intellectual pride hidden underneath.


7 comments:

  1. As you know we've had this knight running around a few days ago; clashing his sword of sharp and hurtful remarks around without thinking. How much more lenient is the fire of Ken, the safe warmth of the hearth where everyone can gather around and speak their mind. Did you know that the Dutch word for "Knowing" is "Kennen"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ps.This is a Lovely "feel better" deck:D

      Delete
    2. Thank you for telling me about the Dutch word - that really is parallel to the meaning of this rune, to understand and see clearly. :)
      I can be so blunt sometimes, especially when I think I'm trying to help another person. I have to remember that truth and tact can coexist!

      Delete
  2. Riding a mink. clearly these two have never been on a mink farm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm assuming it would be the same as a fairy riding a cat? :D (I can see my cat licking his chops in anticipation).

      Delete
  3. If you hadn't explained about the hawthorn, I certainly wouldn't have gotten that from the image!
    Your reading reminds me of the Dalai Lama saying before we speak to think: is it true (Knight of Winter), is it necessary (Kennaz), and is it kind (Empress/Ace of Cups??) A good reminder for me, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world would be a much quieter place (and kinder) if we'd follow that advice!

      Delete