I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, July 28, 2014

Student of the Earth

From the Osho Zen Tarot, Adventure (Page of Pentacles); from the A'HA Oracle, "Tiki:"
The Page of Pentacles is as curious as a cat, always eager to investigate new things. He'll take apart a clock to see what makes the hands turn. He'll spend hours on hands and knees observing a roly poly. But unlike the Page of Swords, he doesn't do these things just to be more knowledgeable, he makes use of the information. If the clock ever stops working, he'll know how to fix it. The next time the bullies at school wallop him, he'll roll into a ball to protect himself. He reminds me that my natural inquisitiveness can do more than add new wrinkles in my gray matter.
Tiki, in Maori mythology, is the first man. These types of carved statues often represent ancestral guides or elders. In her booklet, Linnie suggests that we humans have a tendency to look for support in our decisions - someone to backup what we want to do. But she cautions that taking their advice might not always be the wise move to make. As the Page above points out, sometimes our own experience will help us blaze new and better trails.


5 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite Pages of Pentacles. I love it how she wanders into the rainbow colors and how there is no fence to stop her from discovering a new world full of possibilities. No one is there to tell her she can't or she shouldn't. This whole card is radiating freedom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it too! It's as if she can't help herself - she must go check things out. :)

      Delete
  2. As for me, I love that Tiki - despite being associated with ancestral wisdom, what I see is the willingness to thumb your nose at what other's think, and blaze your own path :) After all, the first man must have been a trailblazer, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, you are so right - he wouldn't have anyone to ask being the first man. And he does look like he's making a raspberry sound with his tongue! :D

      Delete