I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Tune-up

I'll be using the Tarot of the Hidden Realm this week, with artwork by Julia Jeffrey and text by Barbara Moore; its publisher is Llewellyn. The oracle deck I'll be pairing with it is the Heart of Faerie, a set created by Brian and Wendy Froud and published by Abrams. This morning's card draws are the Blasted Beech (Tower) and the "Magician:"
While enjoying a complacent moment in their tree, lightning strikes and these fairies take a tumble. There is no such thing as "happily ever after," if I'm expecting outer circumstances to keep me there. Everything is impermanent, everything changes. And if my philosophy is carved in stone, its liable to shatter when the wheel of change turns. I will suffer over and over if I keep expecting situations to be stable and secure - they will never be so. I might like to think I possess "Truth," but what I actually have is my personal, individual truths. My belief system (or at least part of it) may be due for a tune-up.
This saucy fairy is sly and an expert at deception. She probably thinks she is helping by using an illusion to cover the cold, hard facts with a soft, fuzzy blanket. But sticking my head in the sand will not make anything better, it will only prevent me from accepting and adjusting to reality.

5 comments:

  1. I am so looking reading your posts about his deck!!! I guess Complacent says it all. Then it is time to get real and shed the illusion of well being. ha ha! don't like this magician at all :D
    I realize how much my beliefs have changed in a short time and I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm eager to see how well I get on with this deck too. :D I was wowed by the artwork, but using it to read with is another animal entirely.
      Complacent does say it all for me; when I think I have all the wisdom I need, life tends to head slap that idea right out of me!

      Delete
  2. Nice deck pairing! I see that Magician somewhat differently - she is using her abilities to shelter and help others. She might be tricking "us" - those on the outside - but she's doing it for the sake of those she takes responsibility for… perhaps even for the two fairies who just received such a rude awakening! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first thought of her was that she was like Criss Angel - an illusionist. She doesn't mean any harm, but she is a distraction for people who need to wake up and not go back to sleep. An enabler so to speak. :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, I can see where you're coming from :)

      Delete