I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Burrowing Under

From the Shining Tribe Tarot, the Four of Stones (Pentacles); from the Animal Tiles, "Cicada:"
       A figure resembling a cross stands in front of two gateways: one a temple entrance and another a dolmen. Unlike the the closed, restricted feeling I get from the RWS version, this card seems more open. Yet that figure reminds me a sacrifice will be demanded of me before I enter. The busyness I use to distract myself, the spending I use as anesthesia, and the "comfort food" that takes rather than gives energy will have to be laid down at the threshold. My body, finances, time and energy have taken a hit lately, and I need time to heal.
       I love the big, frightful-looking bugs known as cicadas; it wouldn't seem like summer without their loud, buzzing songs. These insects spend most of their lives six feet underground, for a period of 3, 13 or 17 years. Under the earth, they live on the sap of tree roots. At the end of the cycle, they emerge, molt, then mate, leaving eggs behind to begin the next generation. Cicadas are symbols of rebirth after a period of rest. Like the spiral found inside the dolmen, these insects teach me that conservation is a natural part of the life cycle. For now I need to burrow down and take shelter.

6 comments:

  1. I can understand how you were tempted to numb the tiredness and the stress. It is so much more easy not a engage the true feelings lying underneath it all.
    Take your time en rest my friend. Let somebody else look after you and take a day off. Why do mothers don't have sick leave ?
    Gentle Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen. :) I do want to hide and not deal with all that's going on right now. But it won't make things better or make them disappear. Better to be still for a bit and breathe instead.

      Delete
  2. Hmm, if you can't take a day off, what about a bit of chanting? Like the repetitive sawing of the cicada, it might help ease your spirit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea, Kerry. :) (Good connection with the cicada).

      Delete
  3. Well I always find the Fall is a difficult time of year, and when you have difficulties to deal with... makes it harder.
    Pamper yourself Bev snuggle with your critters, if you have any. They love you unconditionally and are soft and fluffy.
    Journaling helps me a lot too.
    I often turn to SNL of MAD TV is always a sure bet for a good laugh. But if breathing and sounding like a cricket works go for that! Chirp! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine. I'm not sure I would find anything funny right now, but the breathing and chanting are doable.

      Delete