I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Friday, October 10, 2014

Dead in the Water

From the Ship of Fools Tarot, the Eight of Swords; from the Wisdom of the Four Winds, the "Hawk:"
At first I thought I was looking at the Six of Swords this morning, but it is indeed the Eight. Look at the unhappy bunch of jesters in that boat. While they all hold swords (and one a pair of scissors), none of them are rowing or using the sail to move their boat. This vessel holds every negative, discouraging and critical thought I've ever had. As long as I hold on to those ideas, I'll never have any room for any solutions or alternatives. No wonder they're sitting dead in the water.
The hawk is a bird I'm very familiar with; they are frequent visitors in my yard and neighborhood. These birds like to be up high, whether circling in the air or watching from the branch of a tall tree. Though they can see the tiny details below, they're vision also encompasses a wide perspective. Brailsford says this bird teaches us about truth and insight. What I'm dealing with might be frustrating and feel overwhelming now, but this is just one moment in time. If I can lay down those beliefs that I'm clinging so tightly to, I might just figure out how to use an oar or unfurl the sail. Then I'll see the big picture instead of just my tiny corner of it.

6 comments:

  1. what a great 8 of swords. not only are none working for the whole, they are waiting for someone else to do the work they should be doing when and if something finally happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This deck really shows Brian William's brilliance in his choice of artwork for each of the cards. :)

      Delete
  2. We both seem to have to let go of stagnate thought patterns to move forward. And on second thought: who wouldn't?
    I wish you the clear view and broad perspective of this magnificent bird for the coming weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that too when I read your blog. May you also find that same clarity and wide perspective my friend! :)

      Delete
  3. These cards surely provide discernment. Great post and very insightful. Being stuck isn't a good feeling. The good news for me is I can only stay there for so long because things are always changing never really standing still. I'm either going forward or back.
    I have lots of hawks where I am too. I love seeing them. I always feel they are a good sign of things to come, same as the great eagle who is closest to the Creator, he flies so high. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always seen hawks and eagles as auspicious messengers. :)

      Delete