I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Emergency Preparedness

From the Tarot of Durer, the Two of Swords; from the Philosopher's Stone, "Insight:"
Talk about being caught between a rock and a hard place... This hen must decide whether to stay and protect her egg from the fox (and likely become its dinner) or fly away and save herself. Like her predicament, we may find ourselves in an emotionally charged situation with no easy answer. It would be nice to have time to mull things over, but the hungry look in that fox's eyes suggests she better not wait too long.
The Insight card reminds me of the eye pillows I made for my yoga buddies one year with flax seed and dried lavender. They were a physical aid to shut out the visual field and move our focus within. This kind of inner attention may result in what some folks call a spiritual nudge, intuition or "listening to their gut." Its purpose is to find guidance that is helpful (though perhaps not perfect) and prevent an emotional reaction (which is often detrimental). In the hen's situation, she's got a few seconds at the most to make a decision. In such cases, I find having a way to center myself quickly, such as with a breathing technique or a mantra, can be immensely helpful. But it generally only works well if I've been practicing it regularly.

7 comments:

  1. Practice regularly, So true. I've not been meditating for some time. Now I am out of practice when I need it the most.
    The first thing which came to mind when I saw this card was the fox thinking, what came first the chicken or the egg :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think about the fox's thoughts! If he is smart, he'll let the hen live so he'll have more eggs to eat later.

      Delete
  2. I hope and believe that with meditation and mantras, it is a bit like riding a bike. Even if you don't practice regularly, you can get back into it far faster than if you'd never done it before :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does help if you are familiar with the "hows and whys" beforehand. :)

      Delete
    2. For me, yes, deep breathing helps and a short prayer. I try to remember not to panic and to have trust that my Creator is there to guide and protect.

      Delete
    3. I believe in having a spiritual toolbox - each tool for specific purposes. :)

      Delete
    4. What is in my Spiritual toolbox?: that is a great journal prompt!!

      Delete