I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

An Anniversary

From the Gaian Tarot, the Canoe (Chariot); from the Goddess Oracle, "Lilith:"
          I had to smile when the Canoe/Chariot popped up today, because I am celebrating an anniversary of sorts - 27 years of being clean and sober. I can see the focus, determination and self-discipline reflected in this man's face that keeps him moving in the right direction; having a similar purpose requires the same of me. Yet my objective has changed a bit over the years. It is not drugs or alcohol I struggle with any longer, but emotional sobriety. I can get intoxicated by them as well; it can lead me to unhealthy behavior that harms others and myself. This is the reason I paddle along with Lojong slogans and other spiritual tools in my canoe. I'm definitely still a work in progress.
          In Jewish folklore (beginning around the 8th century), Lilith appears as Adam's first wife. She was made from the earth at the same time he was, but she refused to be subservient to him. When she left Adam and the Garden of Eden, mythology transformed her into a female demon. I don't know of any woman alive today (unless they've "sipped the kool-aide") who wouldn't recognize the attempt to keep women from power in this story. I've experienced this in recovery, first when a few women and myself started a women-only meeting (to protect newcomers from some of the male predators who showed up at mixed meetings). We were labeled as Satan worshipers by the fundamentalist members, yet we continued on (and that meeting is still going strong over ten years later). Being out of the religious mainstream (and in the Deep South Bible Belt), I've also caught flack for speaking out for myself and others whose spiritual path veers off the Christian highway. Like Lilith, I think we all should have the freedom to find our own way instead of being forced to submit to someone else's ideas.

3 comments:

  1. Well done you. You sobriety coins are a working oracle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thing besides a work in progress you are even more a work of precious art
    Big Hug

    ReplyDelete