I use tarot and oracle cards as tools for reflection and contemplation. Rather than divining the future, they are a way for me to look more deeply at the "now."
"The goal isn't to arrive, but to meander, to saunter, to make your life a holy wandering." ~ Rami Shapiro

Monday, December 22, 2014

From Busyness to Stillness

From the Legacy of the Divine Tarot, the Lovers; from the Steps to Serenity, "Guidance:"
          My initial reaction to seeing this particular Lovers card was "ick." It looks like the cover of some trashy romance novel or a commercial for a soap opera, not anything real. Usually when I have such a strong reaction, there's more to what's going on than the obvious. Now that I've noticed the snake and apple below the couple, I'm convinced its because of the limited choices I feel are available to me for being with the people I care about. This time of year there are a lot of obligations, some enjoyable and some not so enjoyable. Add to that the health issues all of my family have dealing with, and I feel as if spending time with those whose company I most desire is almost a lost cause. But giving up is a choice too...
          In the 12 Step text of AA, there is a part that comes after the steps called "The Promises." One of these statements is: "We will intuitively know how to handle situations that used to baffle us." That guidance is going to require some quietness and stillness on my part. In this place of openness, I may find I have more options than I think.
In the busyness of this day
grant me a stillness of seeing.
In the conflicting voices of my heart
grant me a calmness of hearing.
~ J. Philip Newell

8 comments:

  1. Interesting pairing this week. Totally in and behind the Steps to Serenity, well done there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend. I hope to one day use my own photos or drawings to illustrate this deck so I can publish it. :)

      Delete
  2. I think in the quietness you will discover what you really want and if this is possible in the given situation. But you cannot please everybody all the time and your own health is at stake too You know what stress will do to your back....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about trying to please everyone. Already this morning I have found a niche of time that was spent with a loved one. I don't need a day after all, just a few moments strung together. :)

      Delete
    2. I always believe we can't underestimate the little kindnesses we can do for others and for ourselves included that we can make the time for in the business of life. Be good to yourself Bev, you deserve just as much as any one else! We all do!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for that affirmation Catherine! :)

      Delete
  3. So glad you managed to get a little quality time with someone you wanted to spend time with. As you say, all the "must's" and "should's" can take over at this time of year. Still, making a little space for what you really want is important, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that little space can make all the difference!

      Delete